Saturday, June 13, 2009

Graphical Abstracts: Round 2!


Back as promised for round 2 of interesting and crazy graphical abstracts from the world of chemistry. 
(for a background and to see the selection from last week click here). 

This week didn't have as many eye-popping pictures...but I think its because I'm actually looking for them, so as a note to any authors out there, pick crazy graphical abstracts!! It makes for easier blogging!

Now, onto the show:


Even though they had pacman in the title, they decided to include a picture of him superimposed behind the macrocycle, just in case we forgot what he looked like.


I'm not really sure what this is supposed to tell me. I would guess that, yes indeed this is a picture of water (a crazy picture of water, but water none the less), however I would not have gotten: "Catalysts based on Amino Acids for Asymmetric Reactions in Water" out of this. Also,the subtitle is "Wet and Wild" which is just downright silly.


I think this is a strawberry. In reading the abstract and introduction of this paper, I still don't know why they have a super zoomed in strawberry in the graph. ab. (other than the fact that Botrytis cinerea is the cause of gray mold in plants).


So. Stinkin.' Cute!....but, why? Is the lizard's tongue catalyzing the reaction with his saliva? Nope, not quite: "Taking advantage of the chameleonic ability of sulfones to be transformed into different functionalities...."  Oh. A chameleon. Ok, I guess I get it....isn't he so cute?



And finally, this one was alluded to in the subtitle post earlier in the week, and actually I kinda like it. Its out there, don't get me wrong, but with a subtitle of "2009: A Boraanthracene Odysessy" you just can't help but let your inner geek shine.

That's all for this week. Hopefully some wacky pics will come my way via google reader in the week to come!


2 comments:

  1. Wow. . . you Chemistry people have active . . . um. . . imaginations...to make these connections...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love them! that's so cool lol i'm a nerd

    ReplyDelete